- peat moss
- nounany of various pale or ashy mosses of the genus Sphagnum whose decomposed remains form peat• Hypernyms: ↑moss• Member Holonyms: ↑genus Sphagnum
* * *noun2. chiefly Britain : peat bog
* * *1. Also called bog moss. any moss, esp. of the genus Sphagnum, from which peat may form.2. such moss after it has been dried, used chiefly as a mulch or seedbed, for acidification.
* * *peat bank, peat bed, peat bog, peatˈland, peat moor or peat moss noun1. A region, bog, moor, etc, covered with peat2. A place from which peat is dug• • •Main Entry: ↑peat
* * *peat moss,1. a kind of moss, such as sphagnum, from which peat has formed or may be formed. It is dried and added to garden and potting soil to keep it loose and retain moisture.2. = peat bog. (Cf. ↑peat bog)
* * *n.1) a large absorbent moss that grows in dense masses on boggy ground, where the lower parts decay slowly to form peat deposits. Peat moss is widely used in horticulture, esp. for packing plants and (as peat) for compost. Also called , sphagnum. ● Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae: many species2) a lowland peat bog
* * *noun [noncount]
Useful english dictionary. 2012.